Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How much tolerence should one have?

I have lived in the US for 8 years now. I have my own life now and this is the life I know and am happy with.

I am unable to tolerate when my parents or in-laws interfere in how I lead my life and how I get my things done. For one, they do not know how life works here in the US. And even if they did, I am more than an adult now and they should just let me be.

Am I mean in not wanting them to interfere? Do they get the rights to interfere given they spent a whole number of years providing for me and bringing me up? Should I be more considerate because they live many many miles away and so have a more-than-usual concern about our well-being?

I agree parents can interfere if their son or daughter were doing something as grave as taking drugs, even if that son or daughter were 40 years old. But where does one draw the line about where they can interfere and where they cannot? Is it now our time to train our parents to our ways, just like how they trained us to their ways during our growing-up years? How do I convince them that this is the stage in their life where they should try to not worry over their children, be stress-free and enjoy the world around them with the money they earned over the past many years? Or would that be too much to expect from Indian parents?

Will I understand their concern only when I become a parent myself, at which point, I will behave exactly like they do?

Do you people also face this dilemma?

2 comments:

bubbles said...

what is "more than an adult" ?

The single most valuable skill I learnt in dealing with people... do not confront them, no matter whetver they do... if they force you to do something you dont like or want, nod and smile and continue doing what you want silenty without protest. You get what you want, and there is no fight.

You taught me that.

Anonymous said...

[HS] I know.... I always do that when possible. There are sometimes when it isnt :(. Anyways, just an occasional frustration - chalta hai! :)

Post a Comment