I am remembering the times in grad school when my roommates and I took turns to cook each day - and we cooked for anywhere from 3 to 8 people. Quite a feat, considering my cooking standards today! I no longer remember how to cook for that many people. Each of us roommates (most of us, not all, to be outrightly frank :) ) was good at coming up with something new to cook every time, and that too working only with ingredients that fell within the constraints of our poor student budget. And they tasted pretty good too (this is coming from someone who was a VERY picky eater pre-grad-school days) - I even remember the day when we had a potluck at our professor's home and P's vadais and my more-kozhambu turned out better than prof's much-self-touted dum aaloo :D.
Sometimes I hate to think all that talent of mine has vanished just like that. But anyway, I am starting to cook again. I am feeling the need - (1) because I am now officially a 'family-woman' and (2) because of my deteriorating stamina and health. I am hoping to be this person who can quickly make healthy, tasty food and at the same keeping it very varied meal-over-meal. Any suggestions for good recipe blogs that feature non-Indian vegetarian food?
5 comments:
You used to make very simple subjis that were yummy, I remember that..And so true - how did we manage to cook 2/3 items in the limited time we had? I remember the potluck too, I think you had also made beans-paruppu-usili. Now I often cook only once in two days and I still feel like its hard to put a full meal on the table..
http://101cookbooks.com/ - many nice vegan/vegetarian recipes. I feel like most of them involve too much prep work, but usually her recipes are easily modifiable if you don't have the time to go the whole nine yards. I learned about cooking with ingredients like quinoa, kale green, miso and sobe noodles from there :)
[HS] Oh thanks! Using quinoa and kale were the EXACT reasons I was looking for non-Indian recipe blogs actually :)
[HS] Btw, I started a blog for my mom for her to add in her recipes :) - http://kallaskitchen.blogspot.com/
Check it out
Just checked out your mom's blog and its awesome. Most of what I saw there was dishes I hadn't heard of before, so looking forward to trying them out!
Post a Comment