Anyway, now its being made into a movie. Pretty sure it won't be half as good because the best thing about the book was its narrative and the very interesting tidbits of information, which is of course the hardest to translate on-screen :(. Saddens me much when a book I love gets made into a movie that doesn't capture its essence. Its not that these people don't know how to make good movies - they do! Its that there are certain books that *cannot* be effectively made into movies and such books should be left alone to live solely in their textual world, however popular they might be.
Talking about book-to-movie translations, you know what book I think should really really be made into a movie? Kalki, by Gore Vidal. Gripping storyline and super unexpected ending - that's all I can give you without letting you in on the suspense :). But I recommend you give it a read if you get hold of it.
2 comments:
I borrowed this book from you, I need to give it back we we meet next..:) I actually didn't understand the hype about the book.. There were a few very creative/funny observations she made in all three places that I really enjoyed, like the one about kids names in Indonesia (first, second etc). Other than that she seemed too self absorbed about her so called "problems". How many women really suffer in abusive relationships and can't get away while she gets a nice book advance to go roam the world and introspect on her failed marriage.. She should have set an enjoyment/fun tone to her writing, but instead all the self discovery and complaining about relationships stuff just seemed incredibly selfish to me. I wouldn't have had a problem with it if it set out to be a good travel book rather than this "finding herself" narrative that didn't seem genuine at all.
I agree with you on the too-much-cribbing part... I didn't like it either. What made me love it were the travel experiences... the whole thing about taking off for a whole year just to experience places and people.
Post a Comment