I was involved in my very first offer salary negotiation today (yep, I am guiltily admitting that I hardly did any negotiation for my first 2 jobs). Tough work it is! Had to plan and write down the "workflow" to my approach, and also had to plan and write down the exact wordings to how I would put each question and statement. And then execute it according to the plan. Its like dealing with a complex project!
Anyway, it went alright... not great, not bad. I guess it couldn't be the greatest, given it was my first.
I have to take classes or do some committed self-learning of negotiation skills - it is a handy skill to have for use in many facets of life. If we happen to move back to India, I need these skills even for shopping! ;-) - I am pathetic at bargaining :).
3 comments:
If both sides come out of the negotiation thinking that they "won" that's the best conclusion, whether is a salary negotiation or bargaining for that new shoe in ranganathan street. :)
[HS] hehe :)... I haven't felt like I have won yet... donno about the other side. We'll see :)
please please share the workflow chart :). One of the things I dread the most is salary negotiation.
Post a Comment