Thursday, October 14, 2010

Language

Being at an agency and as a strategist for various client companies is so different from being a techie (even if as a Program Manager as opposed to a pure-bred-techie like a s/w developer) in a typical software company. In many expected ways... but in one unexpected way: because of the kind of people I interact with each day (the "cool" creative folks, the marketing folks, the people who pitch ideas to C-level executives at client companies etc) the language I get hit with is so much richer. Its a boon and a challenge - of course I get to learn these new flavors of the language, but at the same time getting to a point where this flavor becomes your own takes a while and until then I spend ten humble words in the place of one sublime one.

Anyway, this is neither a "oh-look-how-much-new-stuff-I-get-to-hear" quip, nor is it is "oh-I-need-to-catch-up" crib. It is just that I sat through one such meeting where beautiful (or at least interesting) forms of the English language spewed left-right-and-center and I am just in awe :).

2 comments:

Preetha Appan said...

Nice, you have posted quite a bit recently. Are you referring to marketing specific jargon in this post? I mean phrases like "USP", circling back", etc that are unfamiliar to those not in marketing/advertising. If its something else, you should do a post specifically with examples since it sounds so intriguing when you say you are awed by it..

Harini Sridharan said...

Its not Marketing jargon specific. It is partially just regular American phrases that you do not know by just knowing English as a language because its seeped in the culture. For example - people use the phrase "In a New York minute" when they want to say "very fast" - and thats something I hadnt encountered before.

And some of it is also just lingo that these business folks developed (just like how we techies have a lingo :) ).

I will defn. keep note of these phrases and share them with you :)

Post a Comment