Monday, October 25, 2010

"Short term" vs "Near term"

I had some senior person proof read some work documentation that I wrote. I was told "short team goal" has a negative connotation and "near term goal" is the phrase to use instead. Interesting!

Also, I thought "enables us [insert any verb here; e.g. drive]" and "enables us to [insert any verb here; e.g. drive]" were both right. Wrong! The "to" is needed after the "enables us". Oh well...

So much that I dont know even in a language that I speak fluently!

3 comments:

Preetha Appan said...

I think the "to" applies to us rather than enable. Example - "This system enables faster communication" vs "This system enables us to communicate faster".

bubbles said...

Can you pliss be writing again?

Harini Sridharan said...

I will, I will, I will.

I read a post recently from some famous blogger who doesnt blog so much these days. Excerpt: "This blog has been dead for quite a while, mostly for logistical reasons. One is sheer interia: I’ve gotten so far out of the habit that getting back in is hard. The other is the demands of everyday life: I have two little boys, 5 and 3, and hanging out with them consumes the free hours that I used to devote to blogging. (It’s actually quite hilarious how directly the arrival of my kids effected the slow heat death of my blog. Gabriel was born December 2005, after which you can see things begin to sag; then when Zev arrives in December 2007 things go into an even more rapid collapse, until the blog becomes a vacant lot.) I kept on trying to get back in the saddle, and each time the horse threw me. Also: I’m kinda lazy. When I get a few hours free at night after the kids are in bed, and it’s a choice between blogging or doing a slow march through the 2004 Penny Arcade archives, I’m going with door #2."

Totally resonates (or at least it's a reasonong that I can steal for myself!). The kids part: It's not kids for me, but maybe it is needing-to/wanting-to/consciously-deciding-to spend time with mil and amma (one after another) after work and over weekends for the past 1 yr :).

But I will start writing again, soon! :). Mostly for myself. Not writing feels like I've lost a piece of myself :(.

Post a Comment