Tuesday, March 23, 2010

At a career change juncture

This is the second time in my professional life that I am at the juncture of making a career change to a new job / a new company. The last time it happened, I was so thankful for it. Despite the stress I had to undergo when making the change, what I landed up in was the next best thing that could happen to me - I was so much better a Program Manager than I ever was a software developer.

I am hoping this time around too, where I land up next, is as good as it can get.

Given that I now have the time and chance to explore my options, I am thinking about getting into non-profit. I also took the next step and applied to some Program Manager positions at non-profits. As expected, I haven't heard back from any of them. And why would I - I don't have the kind of background or experience that would suggest I would be super passionate about their cause (even if I actually am).

I am also thinking along the lines of what kinds of products I want to work on next; and if I want to work at a large company or a mid-size or a start-up.

Well, to be frank, the most pragmatic thing to do would be to take up the first offer I get. So I'm not sure where all this thinking is getting me anyway :).

I await, sometimes nervously and sometimes hopefully, the next thing that life is going to bring me.

2 comments:

Preetha Appan said...

All the best for whatever you decide to do. Strangely, I was thinking about non profits at some point recently too. I think non-profits challenge you to think creatively even for stuff you've done before, since you work under tighter constraints(budget/scale etc).

Use this site to search for volunteer opportunities in your area - http://www.idealist.org/if/mozservice09/en/AdvancedSearch/VolunteerOpportunity/default. When I looked before they had quite a few interesting opportunities that require both technical & management skills so will be perfect for you..

LifeIsAGame said...

You guys are totally mistaken.. I worked for a non-profit before I joined Amazon. I had a relaxing life style, no strict deadlines, they understate the pay but I got 10% 401(K) contribution from the company every month and it was never counted as part of my compensation. Benefits were also pretty good ($0 monthly contribution and no co-pay). I was pretty disappointed when I came to know Amzn and other for-profit companies overstate their compensation.

Post a Comment