Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bill Watterson, I bow to thee

Don't you think Bill Watterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes) is a true genius? How many comic strip writers can come up with cartoons that are fun for kids and at the same time have profound insights for the grown-ups?

Calvin: "How come grown-ups don't go out to play?"
Dad: "Grown-ups can only justify playing outside by calling it exercise, doing it when they'd rather not, and keeping records to quantify their performance."
Calvin: "That sounds like a job."
Dad: "..Except you don't get paid."
Calvin: "So play is worse than work?"
Dad: "Being a grown-up is tough."

By the way, whenever I read Calvin and Hobbes I feel a slight pang of sadness - because I always wonder if Calvin is just being a normal kid, imagining all those things he imagines or if he is schizophrenic. Anyone know if Watterson said anything about that at anytime? Like how J.K.Rowling revealed that Dumbledore is gay? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment